Fire and Ice

Fire and Ice

So last night the final game of the Stanley Cup was played. The Carolina Hurricanes beat the Edmunton Oilers in a heart-stopping game with the final score being 3-1.

Ok I'm lying just a little bit. The game wasn't heart stopping....Greg loved it...but I was bored. I have to admit that since I've gotten married (5 1/2 months ago) I've probably watched more sports than the rest of my whole life combined. Sometimes its fine (I love college football season)...other times....I'm just going to say it....I hate baseball. It's completely boring to watch (I would compare it to watching bowling or golf). And it seems to be the absolute longest season of any sport (except for basketball, but I actually enjoy watching basketball....). Anyway....so last night we watched the Stanley Cup Finals....and during the commercials we turned it to a more (in my opinion) interesting show called Hell's Kitchen. If none of you have ever seen the show it's basically Surivior in a kitchen. There are teams and they have to make the best food in the best time yadda yadda yadda. The host is this really mean chef named Gordon who just yells all the time. It's great let me tell you. So between ice brawls we threw ourselves into the fire of the kitchen (hence the title of this blog).

One thing I did learn about Hockey though was it's probably one of the most tiring sports EVER. These guys skate around at full speed, get knocked around by other burly no-toothed men and not only have to stay on their feet but remain in control of a big stick and a small puck (which is like a ball but flat). One thing I noticed immediately is the ratio of mullet-headed men far surpassed the men without. I began to wonder if that was apart of the uniform requirements. I mean I had always heard the jokes about Hockey Players...I just assumed they were jokes....to my surprise they're not just jokes but facts. Maybe they're like Sampson of old, they think if they keep their hair long and don't cut it they will gain extra puck powers and be able to play better. I really don't know. It's merely an observation.

So the Carolina Hurricanes won, this in general I found to be surprising....because isn't Canada known for Hockey....certainly hockey isn't one of the South's stronger sports. But maybe this is just another way the South has found to stick it to the North. Some still say the South will rise again....maybe this is just the beginning.

No comments: